I started my career as a Connecticut wedding photographer over 7 years ago. it’s been so much fun to photograph all the love stories. One of those special moments in this new season of your life is to have an engagement session. And if you’re not sure about doing an engagement session or not, I can tell you that there are many benefits to hiring a Connecticut engagement session photographer.
And in Connecticut, there are many gorgeous engagement session locations to choose from, So how do pick the right location? Trust in your connecticut wedding photographer.
Before we get into my favorite engagement session locations, let’s start with the basics, these are both, my personal and professional opinion:
- Your personality plays a key role. Choose a location that goes well with your personality. Think of places or things you like to do in your free time, and think of places that have a special meaning for you. Choose those locations. You love the outdoors? Then find a nice park.
- Privacy. Select a location that can offer you a bit of privacy. You don’t want to be stared at and photographed “paparazzi style” by dozens of tourists! Although it’s always a sought-after destination, I would personally avoid Times Square or other super touristy destinations.
- Avoid the ‘typical’ spots you see everywhere.
- Don’t pick a location just because it’s close to home. Be willing to drive a little bit further. You will only ever have one engagement session in your entire life. So, spend the time and energy in going to that gorgeous spot you’ve always wanted.
- Your location should be a short walk away from a parking lot, yet feel miles away when looking at the photographs. Your professional wedding photographer should know of some spots that meet all these criteria.
- When you’ve chosen your location, now it’s time to schedule a date and time. Personally, I book engagement sessions Wednesday-Friday. Weekends are reserved for weddings and family time. And as for the time of day, It’s up to you. Mornings can be equally as beautiful as evenings. So, don’t shy away from a session that is at 10am (or earlier) versus those evening photos.
- Trust your photographer. Hire someone with experience. Your photographer (if chosen wisely) will know the best locations for your engagement session. Take their advice.
- For your engagement outfit ideas, always dress to impress. You can never overdress. But you can certainly underdress, and you don’t want that. I want you looking your best! 🙂 And flowy dresses are always a good idea.
Don’t take my word for it, though. Have a look through the engagement sessions below. And when you’re ready to schedule your Connecticut engagement session photographer (or wherever else you want to book me), just send me a quick note here. I absolutely love being a Seattle wedding photographer, and I am looking forward to hearing from you!
Best Engagement Session Locations in Connecticut
Compo Beach – Westport
Much like many New England beaches, Compo Beach offers gorgeous views, clouds, calm water and white sand blanketed with shells, rocks and and horseshoe crabs if you are lucky. I recommend Compo Beach because it’s one of a kind rocky shore with rock masses that span far out in to the sound and not crowded. This beach will not disappoint and it is a great choice during all seasons; winter, spring, summer and fall.
Yale University – New Haven
If you love architecture then Yale University is the place to be. I personally love photographing couples mixed with beautiful architecture, so this is one of my favorite engagement session locations in New Haven. If you want gothic castle vibes, grand iron gates or simple clean lines to work with, chances are you’ll find a structure that fits on the Yale campus. There may be restrictions or permits required for certain buildings so I recommend calling ahead to find out.
Waveny Park – New canaan
This one is a gem. Waveny Park ( also known as Waveny House) is located in New Canaan, Connecticut. The park’s centerpiece is “the castle” built in 1912 and surrounded by 300 acres of fields, ponds, and trails. Waveny Park is a gorgeous location for romantic engagement sessions or small weddings. The park allows dogs, and does not require a permit.
Gallaher Mansion & Cranbury Park – Norwalk
Like Waveny Park, if you are looking for a dog friendly engagement session location in CT, this is it. The Gallaher Mansion include wooded trails, beautiful greenery and the mansion itself is a great backdrop for amazing architectural photos.
Chamard Vineyards – Clinton
If you’re looking for a vineyard vibe with plenty of other nooks to work with then Chamard Vineyards might be for you. There may be a small fee – or you can just buy a few bottles of delicious wine 😉 and you are all set.